Facebooktwittermail

Elizabeth Crowe recently learned that the red couch in her family’s living room holds a toxic secret — hidden inside its foam filling is a toxic chemical that was removed from kid’s pajamas more than 30 years ago due to health dangers.

Today, her 16-year-old daughter, Hannah, spends countless hours lounging, playing guitar and watching movies on top of the contaminated cushions.

“I think about her developmentally and all of these toxic land mines that we’re dodging every day,” said Crowe, director of the Kentucky Environmental Foundation, who lives in Berea, Ky. “To have something like a piece of furniture providing this constant toxic dose to her is so disconcerting.” …

Lynne Peeples